Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fav CD's, volume 1

Caveat- these are my favorite, not necessarily the best albums ever. Though I think they are. No freaking Radiohead, obviously, though with a definite Brit slant. No particular order for the following, strictly stream-of-consciousness.

1. The Rolling Stones- Exile On Main Street. Excellent all-around album, but my favorite tracks are Loving Cup, Happy (Keef sings!), and Tumbling Dice.

2.
Oasis- (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Que? Don't Look Back in Anger (Noel sings:), Some Might Say, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova and one of my secret favorite Oasis songs, She's Electric.

2. Aretha Franklin- The Very Best of Aretha Franklin (Atlantic). The House That Jack Built, Share Your Love With Me, and Baby, I Love You. Queen of Soul, indeed.

3. The Beatles- Abbey Road. Because I've actually dodged traffic on said road, trying to get my picture taken. Unsuccessfully. Also, Come Together, Octopus's Garden and Here Comes the Sun.

4. Led Zeppelin- III. Why pick one of the most critically disparaged Zep albums? Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Out On the Tiles, and my all-time fav Led Zeppelin song, Celebration Day.

5. Willie Nelson- The Essential Willie Nelson. Why? Associated memories with my late, beloved grandmother. Also, Pancho and Lefty, Bloody Mary Morning and Angel Flying Too Close To the Ground. Sublime.

6. The Jam- The Jam At the BBC. Superb live album. Contains my favorite Jam songs, Thick As Thieves, Town Called Malice, Saturday's Kids and Down In the Tube Station At Midnight.

7. Oasis- Definitely Maybe. Fantastic debut. Unbelievable songs. Cigarettes and Alcohol, Rock and Roll Star, Slide Away and my favorite, Digsy's Diner. Oh, and a little ditty called Live Forever. You may have heard that one....

8. Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker. Indeed. Worth a slot simply for Come Pick Me Up.

9. Otis Redding- The Very Best of Otis Redding, Vol. 1. I don't need to justify Mr. Redding, but Try A Little Tenderness and I Can't Turn You Loose.

10. The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses. Rarely has pop been this perfectly crafted. The whole album is f-ing brilliant. She Bangs the Drums, Waterfall, (Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister, This Is the One. Unbelievable. Not to mention I Wanna Be Adored and I Am the Resurrection. I worship the ground that Ian, John, Mani and Reni walk upon.

No comments: