Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oscar fashion roundup

My thoughts are as follows:

Trends

a- Navy blue and aubergine (Emily Blunt and Reese Witherspoon)
b- One-shouldered dresses (Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett)
c- straight hair is back (Mrs. Urban and Mrs. Martin)

Unfortunate mishaps

a- Jennifer Hudson being led astray by Andre Leon Talley (Vogue) and Oscar De La Renta. I think Andre took his weight off too fast, and this resulted in his thinking that it was Studio 54 in the late 1970's, not the Academy Awards in 2007.
Mr. Talley, let's just put it this way- Bianca Jagger ain't going to be riding a horse through this after-party.

And Mr. De La Renta? He dresses skinny socialites, wives of Dr. Strangelove (Annette Kissinger) and SJP, who haven't consumed actual food since, well, Studio 54 in the 1970's. It's not J-Hud's fault.


b- I've said for a while that Chanel and Valentino were slipping. And now, this is being shifted from theory to scientific (fashion) law. Case in point- Kirsten Dunst and Cameron Diaz's respective dresses.

Kirsten's was couture. I get couture. It was still weird. And Cameron's looked like an odd combo of the curtains in my posh Aunt Sandy's front living room (the one where you can't sit on the furniture) and my junior prom dress. Only my prom dress wasn't a Valen-Freaking-Tino.


And I'd like to state for the record, I want to look like Helen Mirren when I finally grow up.



2 comments:

Miss Odd Bee said...

I swear you are the kindred soul of our queen bee. This post proves it!

laurab said...

more fash commentary on the beehive, please. you are brilliant at it.