Saturday, April 12, 2008

Storytime

Back when I taught 5th and 6th grade social studies in Texas, my school had a big pep rally for the annual test, the TAKS. (Don't even get me started on how fucked up it is to have a pep rally for a standardized test).

The section of the school I taught in dealt with the talented and gifted kids, and as our "team leader" was an incorrigible (though very nice to me) kiss-ass, she pulled together a skit for said pep rally, consisting of our kids doing a military drill-type routine. It was actually adorable.

However, the science teacher on our team and I, being insufferable smartasses, bribed the "drill sargent"* to do the "AND THAT'S A FACT, JACK" bit from 'Stripes.' No one got it but us, and we nearly pissed ourselves laughing.



*whenever I was having a horrid day, this kid would do the Pepto-Bismol dance for me. Worked like a charm...

3 comments:

Kazza said...

Movies like this made me who I am today.

CyFlorist said...

"What kind of training, men?"

"ARRRRRRRRMY TRAINING, SIR!"

I've loved Bill Murray since I was a wee girl. My grandma (the napping one) would let me stay up to watch SNL with her when I stayed for the weekend.

We got the kids to do the "Boom-shacka-lacka" bit too.

Eeleen Lee said...

Thats the best bit in 'Stripes' heheheh..

Paul Weller in a classic *anything*, although I loved his mod whippersnapper phase when he was in The Jam.

love Elaine as well...