Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oh Lord

Before becoming a florist par excellence, in a former life, I used to teach social studies in Houston, Texas. I loved my students to pieces, most of them anyway. The 16 year-old 6th graders? Not so much. Since this was a very poor area, many of my students had fairly fluid home situations, so I kind of functioned as a parent/big sister/teacher/dork who instructed my students on the finer points of rock and roll. Let's just say, most of them felt pretty comfortable around me, so they sometimes shared a bit too much. Sometimes, this was hysterical.

Which brings me to this. During my school's open house in the fall of 2004, some of my former students-who were now in junior high-came back to see their old school. Rick Perry and Chuck Norris had just made a public appearance at their junior high to campaign for something or another. This is how it was described.

"Miss, we had to sit in the gym for a really long time and watch the dude with big hair (Perry) and some old white guy (Norris) talk and jump around and stuff. For real."

I just about passed out from laughing. So I read this, and am not surprised at all. You hang with Good Hair Perry, you can't have a lot going on upstairs. Besides the hair.

Alleged Chuck Norris Fact: "There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live." It's funny. It's cute. But here's what I really think about the theory of evolution: It's not real. It is not the way we got here. In fact, the life you see on this planet is really just a list of creatures God has allowed to live. We are not creations of random chance. We are not accidents. There is a God, a Creator, who made you and me. We were made in His image, which separates us from all other creatures.

By the way, without him, I don't have any power. But with Him, the Bible tells me, I really can do all things - and so can you.


Blimey.

No comments: